Search

Monday, October 26, 2009

Easy way for Organizing Large Number of Photos

My backup hard drive crashed and I had to retrieve all the photos using Photo recovery software. Its an unfortunate situation and I hope it never happens to you. But once that happens you are most likely presented with a large number of recovered photos. In my case there were 20,000 JPG and almost half that number of CR2 Canon RAW files. All the JPGs are in one folder and the CR2s in another. Using windows thumbnail view to organize them will take a long time as each time windows will try to list all these files generate thumbnails etc.

A better alternative is to use FastStone viewer. Its a good photo viewer and quite comparable to irfanview which I was using before.

image

The main advantage you get in organizing by FastStone over plain vanilla Windows is that it is much faster when handling thumbnails and large number of photos. You don't need to wait while Windows refreshes with changes when you scroll or move files. Simply create a meaningful name for your folder and select the photos and drag them to the folder. Repeat this for all your photos and you are done.

If you know of a better way, please let me know by adding a comment here and I would like to try it out.

No comments: